Friday, December 23, 2011

Christmas time, a long time ago in the 1940’s

This time of year are rushes of memories!  What stimulates these memories often is the Hallmark channel; I’ve been watching all their seasonal stories.
My mother always surprised me with Santa gifts that only a mother could make.  There was always a doll or something I wanted at the time and every year under the tree was beautiful doll clothes she made.  Once it was an entire wardrobe for my doll, Polly.  Each dress was trimmed in lace or tatting, handmade by my mom.
I don’t always think of the Betsy Wetsy doll, but I do remember the beautiful things my mother made for that doll.
And of course the Lemon Meringue and Chocolate Meringue pies, the big brown steaming turkey, her wonderful dressing and the cranberry sauce she made.
The tree was lit with large light bulbs, some were Santa faces, and she hung tinsel one strand at a time.
It was so cozy to sit looking at the tree the night before Christmas, drinking hot chocolate and wondering what Santa would bring.  The glow of the fireplace and sparkling color of the tree was majickal!
When it was time for bed, I would kiss dad good night as he laid down his pipe and mother would tuck me in the warm covers.  Dad always put hay on the porch for the reindeer to eat and mom placed the cookies and milk for Santa.
I awoke in the morning to the aroma of pancakes, eggs and bacon, but I ran passed the kitchen to the tree always happy and excited for all the wonderful gifts, but mostly I loved the unexpected gifts my mother made.
Blessings,
Reverend Laurie Cabot HPs

1 comment:

  1. This was beautiful! My mother made a special doll for me one year. She also made our Christmas dresses and is the reason I love baking. It really is the simple things, something crafted with your own two hands which becomes tomorrow's treasure. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete